Monday, November 3, 2008

NOW IS THE TIME!!!!

One of my favorite photographers, Galen Rowell, talked about pre-visualizing a picture. Seeing it before it happened. Seeing all the elements in your head before hand and then going out and making it happen. Well, you just can't always make the elements happen when you want, but when the elements are there, you are ready..........because NOW IS THE TIME!!!!! Many of my best pictures are ones I saw in my head long before I opened the shutter. Photos I saw in my brain long before I saw them through the view finder. Well, this picture is one of them. 3 years in the making it was. When I was just out of college, I was part of a college group that every summer would go down to Mexico and camp on the beach. For 3 years, I walked by this rock, knowing that I had to have a picture of it. 3 years I tried to make it happen, but it just was not happening. It wasn't what I saw in my head. That was until day 3 of year three. As I sat on a dune and ate dinner one night, I watched as the sun began to descend into the ocean. And then I knew..........IT WAS THE TIME!!!!!! I ran, I mean ran, full speed, grabbed my camera, and sprinted down a dune to the beach in order to capture this moment. The moment I had pictured in my head for 3 years had finally come. This is one of my most satisfying and special photographs. I hope you enjoy it as well.

0 comments: